SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

If you were going to install mast steps...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
How would you attach them to the mast. Would you drill and tap to use machine screws, or would you use stainless steel rivets?

Please limit responses to this question to those who have done it.

Thanks............

#2 ·
Last time I had my mast down, I installed 2 of the folding steps near the top of my mast so that if I ever had to work there, I could stand on them if needed. I placed them so that the top of the mast would hit me about chest height. I drilled and tapped the holes and installed them with SS screws. I used anti-seize to prevent any corrosion between the SS and the aluminum mast.

#3 ·
Screws should work fine if there''s enough thickness to provide a good bite - that''s the big question. I''d ask the manufacturer of your mast but I wouldn''t be surprised if they recommended rivets. Load bearing hardware on masts (goosenecks, pad eyes, etc.) that is not reinforced or through bolted is very often riveted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.