SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 24?
Thread: Ranger 24?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013

Richman7777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ranger 24?

So, as luck would have it I was able to find a plug for the motor-well just yesterday. It fits nicely and I can't wait to sail with the motor out of the water and no drag from the hole. I'm really looking forward to being able to hold my own in the races. Now... if I just had better sails.

As an aside: The gentleman I bought the plug from is selling his KR24 in Seattle. I think he said he's asking $3800 but lowering $100/week until it sells. He bought a KR26 so he could have more room. He did say the KR24 will sail circles around the KR26 - no surprise since they are totally different boats with different design goals.

I must also stand corrected on the probable PHRF rating of the KR24. 240 minus pennies is probably around the right number based on what those here say and what I've found from others who have owned one and raced. I have friends who race SJ 24s all the time including one who wins his class pretty much wherever he goes. I plan to sail with him on my boat in the near future to learn a bit and get his opinion on the boat itself.

I'd love to see other KR24s too. If anyone is interested in exchanging pictures or organizing a rendezvous of type for next season I think that would be very fun! Email me at newrasb@juno.com and I'll give you my information. I know there is an active KR26 club but I don't know of anything for the KR24. The boats are amazing, so I'm learning. They are very solid as most know. Would love to know how many of the 65 (?) that were made still exist.

Now... on to look for new sails - or "like new". If you have anything, let me know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook