SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
The weight of a sailboat

is a very complicated affair. First you have the weight calculated by the boat designer that is very rarely the weight of boat, specially if it is a production boat. Manufacturers have normally a long experience in building and don't follow strictly the designers scantlings if they consider them to be lower than their own demands. I am not making up this was said to me to a director of a main yacht builder.

I remember a case with a Mach Bavaria 42 regarding keels (one fell off). They never had problems with keels but the Match line was a new one, a more sportive one and they followed the designer specifications and it went wrong.

That difference in weight can be the difference between the designer weight calculation and the weight of the real boat.

Regarding the real weight there are also several weights and regarding minimum weight two that make some difference: The weight of boat empty and the weight of the boat in minimum sailing condition.

Maybe the lower weight is the designer's previewed weight and the bigger one the weight of the boat in minimum sailing condition that in the end is the one that matters, that and the one of the max load condition.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook