SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
No one said that ALL women want to learn in women-only classes. I would guess, however, that those who do are the ones who sign up for them. Speaking for myself, I was just presenting an argument for their existence. It wasn't something I even considered when I took instruction in: white water kayaking, scuba (to rescue diver), sailing, and any of the other interests I had, I just did it. But, as an instructor, I just want people to learn. However that happens is a good thing. If being in a single-gender class enables them to learn the rules of the road, who cares and what right does anyone else have to judge them for it?

I'm 46. I still have the Yellow Submarine lunchbox I carried in elementary school. Someone told me it's worth about $300 now. And I couldn't stand Barbie. Mom used to buy them for me and I'd chuck them out the car window onto the train tracks. Now, my lime green Tonka truck that matched my lime green Easy Bake Oven, loved 'em.
I was just pointing out that there is more than one opinion on women only classes from the women themselves. Some of the commentary earlier in the thread was very harsh on this point. Not your comments by the way.

My girl is more of a mix of both, She likes to wear a princess dress, mudd boots and go fishing. That Yellow Sub lunchbox is a treasure!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook