SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?

I'd guess that most Flying Scot's that were rigged for racing do not come with reefing points. There were no reef points on my Lightning 19' (similar sized center boarder).

I think you have discovered the essence and personality of a Flying Scot: nimble, responsive, fast and a bit tender (tends to heel quickly). Most keel boats will be much more forgiving, stable and not at all likely to capsize. They will also be slower and less sporty - but if you can live with that and that is what you want = now you know.

Before buying your next boat you should gain some familiarity with it to figure out it's personality; preferably go for test sails on different models.

did you like the Catalina 25' you sailed on? There is a version of the C25 that has a fixed fin keel which should be the most stable, as long as it does not have the "tall rig" mast. Standard rig with fixed fin keel is what I'd suggest.

Hope you have no trouble unloading your Flying Scot.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook