SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a trip up the East River, Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Planning a trip up the East River, Timing?

Thanks to everyone for a helpful discussion. My original post was prompted by the Admiral's and my canoe paddle around Manhattan on August 25th. We came down the Hudson and rounded the Battery 5 hours after low tide there (@11:00 am). We found the tide was strong. We had intended to be a couple of hours earlier but missed our planned window. The tides force added to the turbulence we dealt with at that time in the tide cycle I am sure. It did give us a strong boost as we paddled to Hell Gate (90 minutes). Since our trip did not include coming up from New Jersey and did not continue out to Long Island Sound we planned our transit to give us favorable current up the Harlem River back to the Hudson. That is what we got. I wanted to get a review of this timing by asking for shared experience. I did. I got it and I am appreciative. On our next trip up the East River will pass the Battery a couple of hours earlier in the tide cycle (three hours after low tide there).

Another consideration we have, in our canoe, is traffic. Getting to the Battery near noon on Sunday wasn't as busy as it would have been on a weekday but our next trip will be scheduled for a favorable tide window that occurs early in the day on a Sunday. Since we have seen it in August, perhaps a "window" in April or November will be the plan. We have so much flexibility for scheduling this transit our next "ride" will be a bit "quieter". We will not schedule the trip when there is a counter current to deal with.

What a spectacular way to experience Manhattan!

Thanks again,

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 09-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook