SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

I hate the *concept* of women-only classes, just as I strongly disagree with the concept of gender-segregated elementary and junior-high school classes. It's just too easy to go from "different" learning styles to lesser learning. Sorry, but last time we tried "separate but equal" in education in this country it didn't turn out so well, ya know?

That said, of course there are different styles in learning, individual differences not gender-caused. I'm an engineer and a visual learner and if a class doesn't include at least one vector diagram I probably won't retain much. Not because I'm a girl, just because I'm me. Dan, OTOH, doesn't like to work with numbers, even though he has an engineering degree also.

I'm very pleased that we both learned together, from the same instructor in the same way, from our initial liveaboard/learn-to-sail vacation in the Virgin Islands; to our Coast Guard Aux navigation classes, to our Navy Sailing adventures. For us, that meant there was no debate of "my instructor said to do it this way" when his instructor said to do it a different way in a new or challenging situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook