SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?

If you go on any forum for dinghy racers, a Flying Scot would be described as like sailing a brick outhouse. They have to be about the most stable centerboard boat ever made!
That said, they WILL capsize if you really put some effort into it. I would try about 30 knots and have the family all sit on the low side

That said, this boat is not ideal for reading and snoozing underway. It CAN capsize and I have a feeling it is a project to get back up again. I would consider doing the following:
1. Sell the FS to a local racer.
2. Buy a Sunfish or some other small cheap CB boat that can be quickly righted to play around with and learn to sail better. Lots of various types around and the key is they don't really hold water. Laser is another example, it can be righted and be underway in 20 seconds. AMong other things the "dreaded capsize" will no longer be a scary mystery.
3. Buy a 20-25 foot keelboat. Unless badly designed, keelboats *cannot* be capsized by wind. The worst thing that wind can do is lay them over about 90 degrees until someone lets a sail loose. If you get the right boat you'll have cockpit seats long enough to stretch out on and a small cabin to hide from storms and store things in. I don't know what you can find around you, but way back in the day the Cal 20 was ideal for this use.

Also suggest you crew for a FS racer. That will be fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook