SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power Cord/Adapter Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
The hardwire option is interesting, Brian, and something I hadn't considered. I go bow in, and the boat's plug is basically at the transom. I had considered adding another shore power plug near the bow to shorten the run. The one-time cost would probably be about what a 50' cord will run me.

I had read about the Smartplugs. Did you wire up the boat end of the cable yourself? If so, how expensive was the connector? I have 4 different power cables, but only 2 of them are good (one 25' and one 50'). The boat ends came off both of my other cords.
Jim,

Yes, I did it all myself. It is an easy install. I think the adapter and plug run about $180 together as a kit. So you will spend more money on it than you will just rebuilding your current one to Marineco. Or, you can hardwire it in as I suggested.

One option on the hardwire is to put in a buss bar. That way you can still disconnect it, but still get a lot more "contact" and surface area. If I were going to do the buss bar route, I would put it into a electrical box mounted in the Lazz so you don't have hot wires that can be touched.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook