SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power Cord/Adapter Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Brian--

I have seen several failures of the type you describe including, for the first time in 26 years, one ourselves earlier this year. The single common element to the failures I've seen seems to have been corrosion on the blades of the connectors, exacerbated by pitting experienced by those that do not shut down the power before plugging/unplugging the connectors. On our boat, the connector has a screw-in cover with a gasket that is intended to prevent moisture penetration into the plug. If not used, or only loosely attached and not tightened down, it serves no useful purpose. In our case I have found that one needs inspect the blades on the plugs periodically and, periodically give them an application of conductive grease to prevent corrosion; and, shut down the power before plugging/unplugging the connectors to prevent resistance pitting of the blades. For grease, we simply use the "light-bulb" grease sold in the lighting department of Home Depot/Lowes et al.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook