SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo:
I think in many cases they just don't know.

I deal with this all the time. I have written reviews of other designs for 35 years in SAILING magazine. I am finding, especially with Euro boats that I may get as many as three different displacements in one promo package. Today I did my reviews. All three design are built in Europe. All three list a "lightship" displ. This is useless. The real boat will never weight that. But it's in the builder's best interest to promote a lighter boat, all the numkbers look better. So people like you and me are left to guess what the real, equipped and ready to sail boat truly weighs. As I said the only way to find out is to work backwards from freeboards providing the designer will be honest with you and provide you with the data. Most designers will. We want to know.

I think in some cases the builder makes changes to the design specs that add weight. The designer is not always informed of these changes. He finds out later. On a custom project we try to weigh the boat at various stages of construction. This is not always practical with big boats. On a project like FRANCIS LEE, the SLIVER, we have been weighing the boat as we go. But we won't know until the boat is sailing what the real world weight will be. We do know we are very close to the estimated weight study.

I appreciate you explaining this to me but I have been doing it professionally for the past 45 years. I think I have a pretty good handle on it by now. Promoting bogus boat weights does no one any good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 09-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook