SailNet Community - View Single Post - series drogue or para anchor?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: series drogue or para anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
The problem with controlling the situation you describe is that you have to be able to see what you're doing. Mostly when the weather is such that you need a drogue, it is heavily clouded too and then the inevitable happens - the sun sets and it gets real dark.

We had this and in the dead of night we saw huge areas of white water overtaking us on both sides - we were sailing downwind under bare poles and doing 7 to 9 knots. When the boat surfed for the first time in pitch black conditions down what felt like a huge wave with a 10 ft wall of white water chasing us from behind, I knew that whatever else I do in my life, I never want to do that again. When it got light the next morning it was confirmed that the waves around us were 35 to 40 feet and randomly breaking. Nobody chooses to surf that in a 40ft cruising boat - unless you're stark raving mad.

And I don't get the fear of being pooped. So a flood of white water washes over the boat. As long as the boat doesn't accelerate down the rest of the wave and your wash boards are in place and strong, I don't have a huge problem with that. Having said that, I don't really ever want those big patio doors commonly found on ocean going cats these days.
And another. Good lord, Oma, I love "big sailing", but that's sounds like hell.

"Those that go down to the sea..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook