SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying Scot - did I buy the wrong boat?

I learned to fly on a tree lined short grass field. As my flying progressed to larger more advanced aircraft the question of where i took my primary training always came up. it was met with with the same response from almost everyone _ You flew there? Yup and because i didn't know it was supposedly impossible to land a plane there, for me, and everyone else who flew there, it wasn't. We didn't know any better. We were taught by people who knew how to get it done, and because of that, right out of primary training we were better pilots than many.

So it goes with dinghy sailing. There is no cruise control. You can't let the boat get ahead of you. Learn to sail a dinghy well and you will be a better sailor for it.

You sail in the Delaware River? If so the New Castle Sailing Club ( think that's the name) in New Castle Delaware sails a fleet of Flying Scots. Real nice people! I'm sure for a case of beer they would be more than happy to give you some tiller observation time along with ways of detuning the Scot into the don't spill the tea boat you want it to be. Bottom line, if i can sail the grossly over powered Hobie 16 and Nacra 17 without flipping in 20mph winds, you can do the same with a FS. No need to give up on the boat. Just learn how to do it.

Also the advice to get some capsize experience on a sun fish or laser, good stuff!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 09-07-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook