SailNet Community - View Single Post - how old is too old?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: how old is too old?

while i was searching for my ultimate cruising boat, which i really do not own yet---but i will after these renovations are completed!!, i learned that when i set the criteria too rigid, i didnt find what i wanted. through many stages of boat ownership from my first owned by me sailboat in 1990 until i bought htis formosa in 2008, i learned boat building using a mold, gelcoat and mat and roving and resin, what happens and how to do it. i learned how hulls and decks connect and with what methods i should attach hull to deck in the boat i was building in 1991.
prior to this stage i had already learned wood boat building and maintenance, and i had a quick bout with a steel ketch....

i didnt know that excellent fiberglass boats were built in 1958 and 1955, solid to this day and forever---cal and victory are still sailing. jensen wenk in 1958 built a wonderful lil solid drop keel sloop with 24 ft length. awesome boat to this day. sail well and built like a brick sh....... .
funny how they do not blister...lol
the thing about pal-ing around with yacht builders is that one learns stuff never learned by those not pal-ing around with a yacht builder.
i would never buy a boat built in the 1980s. lamination methods were not yet perfected, as is seen by blistering and other problems.
different marques have different problems.
production line boats have different problems than do hand laid glass boats.
each marque is different.

OMG!!!!! never buy a formosa--rodlmao--i heard that so often i laugh to hear it now.

from 1990 to this formosa i went thru ownership of mebbe 15 boats inclusive of one that was a commissioned hand laid 42 ft omg yorktown---only because i could pick my rig and interior was designed by me--dont ask where is that boat--lol--it was delivered to me, but, wrong ex-husband and a chainsaw.
i did NOT want a FORMOSA. no way.never.

now i have, and actively cruise a formosa, i see what all you who say that are missing and envious of my having...
do not down a marque because folks all say words against that marque--you may learn what those voices are wishing they had instead of what they do have.....
when you place stringent parameters on what you want before sailing that particular marque--just because it is built in XXXX year, or after, you may be limiting yourself to choices that do not truly meet your requirements or desires.

learn how boats are built then decide what you want AFTER everything you can sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook