SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Sorry, but the fact that Team Oracle is underwritten by a billionaire who happens to be an American isn't sufficient to make a syndicate headed by a Kiwi in Russell Coutts, and a boat skippered by an Aussie in Jimmy Spithill, qualify as "my team"... :-)
I'll be pulling for ETNZ all the way, sending the Cup back down to Auckland, and to a country where the general populace truly appreciates yachting, would seem to be the best chance to restore some sanity to the event, at this point...
Well I guess there are just no Americans that can sail these boats? It's absolutely disgusting that these races have progressed to the point that you have few Americans on a boat representing the USA. I don't think a boat representing a country should be crewed by an international crew, but only crew members from that country. Hell, it's even the same in the Olympics these days.
I'm absolutely fascinated by these boats and would love an opportunity to sail one, but I guess I'm just not welcome, being an American!
First the rule changes that allow a boat to finish w/o the same crew it started with, then penalty points assessed if a boat hits a mark instead of the traditional re-rounding of the mark and now boats from Italy, Sweden and the US with few, if any, nationals aboard.
I have no problem with pushing the envelope, experimenting with designs that allow a sailing boat to reach speeds in excess of 50 mph in 18 knots of wind, but calling these internationally crewed boats representatives of a particular country is just ludicrous.
It really doesn't matter who wins, for anything other than the racing venue, the Kiwis and Aussies and Pomes are running all the boats, anyway. So we Americans who think we are "sailors" on this site should rethink that, as we obviously are not capable or qualified to call ourselves that, compared to the descendents of the British Empire. Once again, "Britannia rules the waves" even though we whipped their asses for more than half a century in the AC.