SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looked at the Ranger 26
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looked at the Ranger 26

It could be that it is a diamond in the rough, and once you polish the dirt away it will be great, but..be very very cautious. As to the rust, I do not know the design of this particular boat, it could be from iron ballast encapsulated in the keel that has had water seep into it and rust, or it could be rusted keel bolts if it is a bolt on keel...neither of which inspires confidence, but it could be not a big deal [or a very VERY big deal..]. It could also just be water that has pooled and had things grow in it that LOOK like rust.

I hear you on the ~30' boat being the ideal for room, we got the 26' with only 5'3" headroom that we have due to our local lake have a 26' maximum length restriction. If we lived up on Lake Michigan, we definitely would have been looking for something more in the 35' range...provided we could afford and find a slip... I don't think that we could have found a better 26' boat FOR US though, there are tons of boats in our club, and I can't say that I get any twinges of envy towards any of them and I love walking towards ours!