SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

AC 2013 - crew gear (not T-shirts and jaackets)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  PaulinVictoria 
#1 ·
Like many here - I watched each race of the ACs before the new high tech boats took over. I liked the mono hulls. That said, these new machines seem pretty neat and I am sure something good can come of them.

In my life I have played a number of sports up to the university level of competition, and so I like knowing what the athlete is "wearing". Wow - those guys a wearing a heck of a lot of "equipment and protection".

Where can I see a list of their gear and what it does or what it is for? Just curious.

Thanks

Rik

See less See more
#2 ·
I see a wetsuit and a helmet; you know what those are for, right?. I see a climbing harness; I assume he's ready to go up the mast. He also has the end for a Camelpak kind of set-up for hydration. I see a microphone near his mouth, so I assume he has a 2-way radio. And sunglasses - those protect his eyes. I don't know for sure what the thing around his chest is - looks like a PFD, but I don't know for sure. The yellow canister looks pretty big. I can't readily identify the electronics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.