SailNet Community - View Single Post - series drogue or para anchor?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: series drogue or para anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Try a drogue and if it doesn't help, then cut it loose and try w/o. I'm not saying not to use them, only recounting my experiences with them and my preferences.
I haven't used a series drogue in the true sense of the word although I guess what I do use is the same concept. It is a 140 metre jib sheet from a superyacht (50mm Ř) that I have tied a knot in every 5 metres.

To be fair I haven't had the "opportunity" to use it in severe weather - I spend a lot more of my time trying to avoid bad weather than learning how to deal with it but I have let it out while motoring at full throttle on a calm day and the slowing effect on the boat is impressive. With the length after knotting at 125 metres it easily covers the wave period of the average storm and what's more is I can let out as much as I need and recovery is easy.

And I got it for free so if I have to cut it loose that's not going to hurt as much The biggest issue I have is where to put it - it is really bulky and also pretty heavy. Still have to figure that out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook