SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As I watched yesterday, I was trying to put myself in the shoes of a non-sailor. Having no idea what a tack, jibe, rights, downwind, etc, even are, it would be impossible to get into the race. I even heard the announcer analyze VMG, using the acronym, not describing the point in plain English.

A non-sailor sees the big boats up on foils. Oooooo, ahhhhhh. Then you're lost, particularly as they head n different directions, until the finish line, which you don't even know is coming until they tell you.
Actually this is no different to any other yacht race and actually the older AC's had much more of this than the AC34. And it is really no different to me watching baseball or grid iron football - I have no idea of the rules and don't much care so I don't watch it. Every sport has it's knowledgeable followers and the also-watched. I never hear the commentators in a grid iron match explaining the rules - you either know them or you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In most sports, you can quickly grasp whom is winning and scoring points.
Watching the scoreboard and knowing who is winning is not as good as watching the game and knowing who is winning.

I know hindsight is a perfect science but having watched races 3 and 4 today, this is full-on match racing at 40 knots - it is nail-biting stuff at least for me it is. And if Spithill continues to meddle with Barker's start process, Oracle are right back in this.

ETNZ took 39 seconds off Oracle on an upwind leg in race 3 and nothing in race 4 and Oracle won so things are evolving. I reckon this event is going to improve with every race. It's not over till it's over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 09-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook