SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: America's Cup opening races

I do think the broadcasts are well done.. The technical issues are addressed nicely, certainly the 'buzz' of speed is evident, the level of engineering and skill needed here is at a whole other level.

But for me, in the monohull days we could watch, dream, and see the relevance of what the racers are doing to what we mere mortals were doing in our own boats. Even if that relevance wasn't really there, things 'looked' similar enough that we could totally relate. And I get that non sailors probably would never get hooked on that venue, whereas they might now with this new generation.

But what happens if someone gets all wound up to get into sailing and then finds out the real deal for most of us is NOTHING like what they watched on TV...

The short prestart, lack of sail handling and sail changes are key things that I think sailors will miss with these big cats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook