SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

My wife and I have sailed together for 4 decades. We have attended sailing schools over the years but never on the same course. The reason is simply we have different motives.

For example, I wanted to learn the finer points of celestial navigation (long before the wonders of GPS), she just wanted to learn the meaning of lights so that she would be more confident on a night watch. So we would go to the same school, different course. I would do an diesel engine course, she would do a cooking or victualing course. Is that gender discriminatory? No, I don't believe it is. We concentrate on what we're good at.

I don't subscribe to gender specific courses but I do support couples not being on the same course. Watching a stranger on a course shouting at my wife would be something to behold. And I also know the fact in our relationship that my wife can sail a boat competently and she cooks a meal at sea like nobody else I've met. But she has (self-acknowledged) "no feeling for machinery" - she never notices a change in the note of an engine running or the groan of something wearing or that the boat speed relative to engine revs has dropped.

Neither does she care. That's for me to worry about. And I don't know whether the chicken that defrosted three days ago is going to kill me. That's hers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook