SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I do think the broadcasts are well done.. The technical issues are addressed nicely, certainly the 'buzz' of speed is evident, the level of engineering and skill needed here is at a whole other level.

But for me, in the monohull days we could watch, dream, and see the relevance of what the racers are doing to what we mere mortals were doing in our own boats. Even if that relevance wasn't really there, things 'looked' similar enough that we could totally relate. And I get that non sailors probably would never get hooked on that venue, whereas they might now with this new generation.

But what happens if someone gets all wound up to get into sailing and then finds out the real deal for most of us is NOTHING like what they watched on TV...

The short prestart, lack of sail handling and sail changes are key things that I think sailors will miss with these big cats.
Excellent points.

After reading this thread last night, I swore I would have nothing to do with watching it. Ended up watching it anyway.

While speeds of 40 knots are breath taking; and the excitement was there. The sailors who I know (even the racers) don't need crash helmets. As you suggested, we can all "relate" to what was done with the mono hulls, even if it was beyond our budget.

I also wonder how non-sailors find the TV coverage? My wife and I both sail, so we had a general understanding of what was happening. However, we are cruisers and didn't always "get" the racing terms. Wonder how non-sailors found that?

I don't particularly care who wins. Team Oracle would be a US fan favourite. However, if the Kiwis win, we all know that the cup will be going where it is hugely appreciated.

Meanwhile, many thanks for a fun thread.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook