SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spirit 23 keel cable conduit blocked
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Spirit 23 keel cable conduit blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverspirit View Post
Thanks. My tubing enters from the side of the pocket in the trunk.
So you cut out the pocket and changed the tubing entry to the top?
Did you change the entry direction to avoid the chronic broken cables?
Why did you cut out the whole raised pocket, was that to give room under the floor to make the bend before entering the trunk?
What is in photo number three?
Yea mine was like that too, terrible design. Makes the cable have to bend down which can put more wear on tubing and cable. Yea I cut it out completely and started fresh. Bent my tubing that way it would run into the seat storage area.
I went from the top so the cable would be directly over the CB and it would reduce stress on the pipe and the CB. Cut it put because I had to cut out the old pipe and I guess was a pulley but it was a bug rusted block. That and with a side grinder, that was the best cuts I could make with the limited space. 3rd photo is the tubing ran through the port seat storage area, I fiberglass it down so when crap was thrown in there it wouldn't mess with the pipe. Also, it keeps the pipe from Moving which will keep the 90* bend from getting stressed and leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverspirit View Post
Is there a fitting or anything on the end of the SS tubing?
No fitting or anything, I think I flared the tubing end. Also, when I attached the cable to the CB I put the bracket on the CB directly under the pipe end so there isn't any unnecessary stress when picking up the CB into the trunk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook