SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Enjoy, but could be better.

I must say, while I did watch the older AC on the TV, frankly, I thought they were "boring" from a casual observer view point. Way off shore, minimal "fans", some tech, but ho hum unless you were really into it.

While I not a big fan of the "cats", the speed and acceleration is awesome. The close proximity to fans is very cool. The tech on TV is great.

My major complaint is the races are too short (time). I think that only one upwind leg (at least in races 1 and 2) is bad. Also a "down wind" start is a bad decision IMO. Hopefully they mix it up a little for the latter races (upwind start, upwind finish, two upwind legs, etc). They also should either add length to the legs, or have them do additional legs. Races should be in the 40-45 minute range. Time between races should be 15-20 min, not 1/2 h. Enough time for the guys to rehydrate, add some calories, do some quick repairs/adjustments, strategize, physically recover.

Understanding that TV needs commercials, have most of them , and the longer ones between races, along with post-race quick review. During race, commercial free from 2-min before start till 2 minute after start, then 30 sec commercial, show rounding at each mark, commercial free for upwind leg. (time the up wind leg, so it takes no longer than 12 min) Commercial after windward gate cleared by both boats, through a few 30 second commercials during downwind legs, etc.

I do miss the sail changes. If there was a way to get the speed, "longer" spectator friendly races, with sail changes, that would be the best of both worlds. Even if the boats were much slower, but still quick (15-20 kt range), I think fans would still go for it.
think

Last edited by DrB; 09-09-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook