SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water in the bilge
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Water in the bilge

We have a low bilge, within our bilge, that will collect and hold about a half gallon of water, if it filled up. The float switch and main bilge pickup are in it. The backup is above it.

We have two fridges that drain to this lower bilge, along with the condensation from two air conditioning units. The pressure blowout for the hot water heater would also go there, if it let go.

As a result, our bilge pump runs a couple of times per day. It was creepy at first. After seeing a bone dry bilge surrounding it, I just got used to it and consider it an audible test that the bilge pump actually works.

My bigger problem is that water coming down my mast collects in a bilge compartment that just won't find its way to this lower bilge to be pumped out. I shop vac it out, but its frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook