SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#3,224 ·
shark bay and monkey mia it is... ;)
well done and over to you seaduction

shark bay is a marvelous place, make sure you visit it when you are in the area.
it is the biggest, relatively shallow area where seaweed grows and holds the biggest population of "dugongs" (the seawater living variety of the american manatee), there is shell beach at the one end and stromatoliths (the oldest known living creatures being 3,5 billion(!) years old) are also to be found there... :)

this is shell beach, it stretches wider as you can look in both directions, some hundreds of meter from waterline to land and the shells are meter high packed there:

#3,235 ·
LaurenceU: Europe was already acknowledged and the sailcover in the foreground certainly implied the Adriatic. The second boat beyond that seemed to have Sunsail colors (e.g., red sun cover on the genoa) which pointed to the cruising grounds near Dubrovnik (Sunsail's Adriatic base). Then it was a matter of checking Google Earth for harbors that weren't very built up and then drilling down on photos posted until the buildings on shore matched. It didn't take all that long.

Next challenge: This fountain is located by a famous harbor. Name the harbor and--if you can--the name of the fountain.

#3,236 ·
LaurenceU: Europe was already acknowledged and the sailcover in the foreground certainly implied the Adriatic. The second boat beyond that seemed to have Sunsail colors (e.g., red sun cover on the genoa) which pointed to the cruising grounds near Dubrovnik (Sunsail's Adriatic base). Then it was a matter of checking Google Earth for harbors that weren't very built up and then drilling down on photos posted until the buildings on shore matched. It didn't take all that long.
well done. it's on the Island of Mjet, about 4 hours sail from Dubrovnik.

#3,240 ·
Perth at the swan river just under kings park on mounts bay road...
The building was a brewery - swan brewery? - if i am not mistaken, but i have no clue what it is now or called...
Google earth says that there is a multiplex and a cafe in, but it looks very much like a hotel...

#3,244 · (Edited)
ah, thank's laurence... i was not aware about this custom to hoist the flags of guests on board...

ok - where do you find this beautiful spot?
i know that there are a lot of those stone arcs around, but i think that this one is quite unique... it is also a very popular diving spot...

i think i have to add, that it looks slightly different now since a partial collapse in 2012, but my image is some years old...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.