SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learned something(s) today
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Learned something(s) today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMi View Post
Nice pic. As I'm really new to sailing so is your setup in that pic for going dead down wind or are you going off center and using the pole to hold the jib from coming over?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Sorry
Poling out the jib with a whisker pole is a common technique for sailing dead down wind... Not always the fastest way to get there, but in this case I was confined to a channel, so had no option but to sail directly before the wind...

That day actually turned out to be one of the most pleasant of my entire trip south a couple of years ago... I'd come back inside at Ponce Inlet the day before, primarily in order to be able to watch a couple of NFL playoff games :-)

The stretch of the ICW behind Cape Canaveral can be one of the best for doing some actual sailing when the breeze is right, and on this beautiful day I was blessed with a light to moderate wind straight out of the north. The channel runs pretty much arrow straight for miles and miles, and I wound up sailing wing & wing almost all the way from Melbourne down to around Vero... Would have been nice to have had just a bit more breeze, but it was still as close to as perfect a day as one could imagine...

It was late in the season, most snowbirds already further south by that time, but I was still passed by perhaps a half-dozen other boats running south... Every one of them under power, of course - their reward for eschewing a such a beautiful day of sailing was probably winding up 10 or 15 miles further down the road than I did that night... And, the opportunity to savor that diesel exhaust wafting into their cockpits for much of the trip...

Although, for those equipped with full-cockpit oxygen tents, perhaps not... :-)

Good luck, as you progress with your learning to sail, in the right conditions, sailing wing & wing can be a very fun way to sail..

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
LakeMi (09-09-2013)