SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsails View Post
......The graphics and display is very well done and I find it's pretty straightforward as long as you watch the pre-race summary.....
I admit that I didn't watch the full pre-race summary for race 1, as I was messing with getting it streaming, while out at anchor. By the time I got going, it must have passed.

I did see it for races 3-4. Well done.

However, I stand by thinking that non-sailors would still have a very tough time following during the race. When one team tacks or jibes and the other doesn't, it must look like two different races. Then at the gates, they make different turns. Its also difficult to visualize where they actually are on the course, unlike most sports. Whether football, baseball, soccer, etc, you can take it all in. Even race car driving is simpler, as the leaders don't head off in different directions. The graphics that show their actual separation down the course are very good, but still must be confusing to many.

I'm not suggesting it needs to make sense. However, I thought they were going for a wider audience and doubt it's worked. I hope we hear one way or the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook