SailNet Community - View Single Post - series drogue or para anchor?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: series drogue or para anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jon, can you get a pic of that some time? I'm going to be getting a JSD and would like to see a better option than the traditional line. I love the idea of something that has similar strength but is much more compact.
Here you go... As mentioned, it's in 2 sections, the heavier 3/8 section in the bag on the right will just about fit in another bag of similar size to the one on the left... For a bridle, I'll use a pair of 12' Yale Polydyne 5/8" mooring pennants, shackled to chainplates on the stern quarter, as per Don Jordan's recommendation...

One caveat to using Amsteel, or similar... Because the rope is a rather loose and 'slippery' braid, I think you need to do more to keep the knotted cone tapes from the possibility of getting pulled through the rope. I used small fender washers before the knot to (hopefully) prevent that from happening...

It's a fairly painstaking process to assemble one of these, you definitely want to plan it for a time when you've got a couple of good football games to watch, or something... :-) I probably got it down to about 4-5 minutes of time to attach each cone to the rode, and I think I have something right around 120 cones, total...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook