SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to Sailing and gotta move my boat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Wzhanning,

If you get a santa ana, you will not be happy. I have been there. I agree the weather can be unpredicatable. You can make it in a day of you leave before dawn and get after it. Make sure you have a good VHF (that works, damn it!!) and good safety gear on board. If you do not know how to sail and your engine conks out (since it is a new boat you probably do not know how reliable it is), you you could be in trouble. Go post an advertisent at a local marina and see if you can get a sailor to help you move it. Give him a couple hundred bucks or better (and lots of rum/beer after he arrives, not before... important distinction with many sailors!!!). In addition to getting there safely, you will learn a whole lot about sailing. Just think of it as a crash course.

Sailing is easy. Mastering it is hard/impossible. You can do it, but venturing out on a coast you may not know well with a new boat and untested gear is a recipe for disaster... especially not knowing how to sail.

That is my opinion. Others differ.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook