SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home schooling for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

But david, the challenge for parents homeschooling without a net (ie without a homeschooling resource center or a network of fellow homeschooling parents) is that the pupil will have the same teacher for every subject, and thus be subject to the weaknesses, and strengths of that sole-source educator.
If you are not a strong speller and don't like to read, for example, what are the odds that you will emphasize that aspect of the curriculum, and by extension, what are the odds that your child will have an interest in literature and be able to structure a sentence coherently?

i disagree with your philosophy on the societal responsibility for educationEducation has been seen as a societal responsibility going back to the ancients. even in primitive tribes, children have always learned skills as part of the group. it is a relatively recent phenomenon, largely of the first world, to assume the parents can privately educate our children better than the group as a whole.

Where the public education system falls apart is the failure of the educator/parent link. If parents and educators don't work together, the school and the students fail.

i have had discussions with people who want to withdraw their children from the public system and homeschool their children because of some vague and unformed belief that the public school system is a failure. ias how many conferences they have had with their children's current teacher, how many PTA meetings they have attended, what volunteer work they do at the school, and the answers often range from "none' to "little.' I ask, if you are relatively uninvolved in your child's education now, how successful do you think you will be as their teacher in the future?

that tends to kill the conversation.

Our children were public schooled through elementary school, then homeschooled through their high school years, after giving high school a try.
Was it a success?
they both "graduated' earlier than their peers, getting their GED and going on to college 2 years ahead of their peers, and both are thriving in the college environment. They had support through a homeschool resource center, and they understood the importance of deadlines, and their performance was measured, and above average performance was rewarded.

Would we do it again? depends on the kids, and the kids needs. I believe that one has to have at least attempt structured school- some kids, in fact most kids, thrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook