SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
French aluminum centerboarders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Paolo- I'm wondering about how well the Ovni's/Allure's/Boreal's (not necessarily in that order) might handle stormier conditions than say > 40 kts tws. I know that's a bit specific, but there's not much out there in the way of information or experience, even for the Ovni's- which are the oldest of the 3 makes. This may boil down to speculation, but until we fly over to either the UK or France to test sail one of these, that's ok. Do you (or does anyone) have any idea?
Welcome to the thread!

I have an idea LOL. Aluminiun French centerboarders were born as voyage boats and a voyage boat sooner or later will get bad weather. Yes, all of them can take bad weather and many have endured storms.

May I recall you that one of the most famous voyagers, Jimmy Cornell after several circumnavigations with different types of boats had choose as is final perfect voyage boat a French aluminium centerboarder? A OVNI 435. Now Cornell is even more impressed with Allures that in my opinion are a step ahead of traditional OVNI even if OVNI has now a different kind of centerboard that I know not well but looks promising.

That does not mean that this type of boat is the only suited to voyage but certainly it is one of them and the one favored by the French that have a huge variety of boats to choose.

Here you have a movie of one enduring 70K at port in the Arctic (I would hate to have my boat on those conditions) and some sailing with heavy wind even if not in storm conditions.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
Irunbird (09-10-2013)