SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caliber LRC 40
Thread: Caliber LRC 40
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tropic...if you are thinking about a 40LRC as a bay cruiser for weekends, there are better suited boats...but it is designed as a long range cruisr and as such the fuel and water tanks are WELCOME and DESIREABLE. When full...the boat sits on its' lines and so performs as designed. Encapsulated keels have their detractors as do Bolt on Keels...each has problems and advantages. Selecting a cruising boat with "backing into slips" capability as a criteria seems pretty laughable to me. The best backing sailboats I know are the Beneteaus...but I sure would not want to cruise with that rudder...especially the ones which hang down BELOW the keel.
The windward performance is just fine if you are not going racing. More importantly, the motion is sea kindly on a beat.
Check out the Blue Water Sailing review of the boat on the link below. I think the Caliber40 is the least expensive production boat over 35' being made today that is really a suitable platform for blue water voyages.
http://www.caliberyacht.com/PR_40_Op_All_Frm.htm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook