SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup opening races
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Re: America's Cup opening races

As usual lots of opinions...

I have to say I was not interested in the pre-race hype nor the LV series. I was also luke warm to watching even race highlights. But, I joined a friend and we watched the opening two races. I was hooked. These are high tech racing machines with one objective: To win the series according to the rules as written. You may not like the rules but the boats and the crews are incredible. Most of us will never sail in these (most of us are monohull sailors with a streak of romanticism with wet dreams at 7 knots) but you have to admit, you cannot beat a catamaran for speed. There is lots of tactics, grunt work, team coordination, intimidation... Sounds like sailing to me and ....in this case, just like in F1, you have a bunch of mercinaries.

As a Canadian, I don't care who wins . I want an entertaining and long series. I was on edge all of Race 4...for a sailing race...... Pretty successful entertainment in my books. I also watched Races 3,4 on Youtube (I don't have cable): Apple TV linked to the net on my 46" with a bose soundsystem. I was a happy camper.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook