Old 09-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Learned something(s) today

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
Is there a story here, too?
/ed
As we approached my slip, the captain of the tow boat radioed back and said that he was basically going to slingshot me into the slip. I always approach at a snail's pace, and he was going a bit faster than I usually do. I was very nervous without an engine. I still had to steer, so I told my dad to stand close(ish) to the bow and to look for a loop in either of the lines I had on the starboard side. Either one would stop the boat, but one was the springline and one was the stern line. The stern would stop us short of where I need to end up, but it would be OK. Statistically, he had a 50/50 chance of grabbing the right line, but I thought that, since a) I grabbed the wrong line each of the other two times we had docked and b) I had intentionally laid the springline on top, I might help improve his odds. Apparently that wasn't the case, and he grabbed the stern line. But it still basically did what the springline was supposed to do, and snugged us up against the finger and piling, away from my port-side neighbor's boat. Which was good, because she was out, wrapped only in a towel (though there may have been a bathing suit on under there) and armed with her boat hook to help guide us into the slip and fend us off her boat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook