SailNet Community - View Single Post - The economics of sailing around the world
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013

AKscooter is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

I think a decent way is to figure out what your lifestyle is on land.......because that is what you chose and if you are going sailing you probably want to approximate that as much as possible. While living Gilligan's Isle style is romantic most folks seriously cannot stand the idea of no internet, restaurants, other forms of entertainment. In the old days if you could not afford it ....you went anyway and just enjoyed the things you could afford to do.....You did NOT dwell on the safari you missed, the Superbowl Sunday festival or any of the other things that cost more than you could afford.....Do I need to know where I am to 10 meters.....no really...no....I do need a decent set of charts, a compass, good anchor with plenty of chain, coffee....I really need coffee.....plenty of dried goods with a solar distiller, and for grins maybe some paperback books that i got on sale for ten for a dollar because someone else thought they were worthless........ decent flashlight, and serviceable gear....the kind that certain folks call seconds or thirds.....but that is my style.......what is your style on land?....'cause that is your style on sea. Yes I am gonna skip places that want me to pay for the privilege of gracing their country....but there are plenty of other places of equal value that I can go....learn something new and have adventures.......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook