SailNet Community - View Single Post - the perfect 40' offshore 'go-anywhere' boat
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: the perfect 40' offshore 'go-anywhere' boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
My thought would be one of the last Ericson sailboats made by Pacafic Seacraft. Built like a truck, quality construction, etc. Check cout Yachtworld and search for a 38' Pacific Seacraft Ericson 380 Offshore. they have a nice one for 180K. Meets your criteria nicley.

-Bruce
Bruce, I think the one you're referring to is no longer on YW. But I did find it on Sailboatlistings for $149,900. Though since it's no longer on YW, it may be sold or off the market. SL has a reputation of not removing dead listings in a timely fashion.

Of the PS-built E38-200s, the '98 on YW (in Annapolis) is listed for $144,900. There's a '93 in Vancouver for Can $99,000. And a '91 E38 in Noank, CT listed at $99,495. That's been on the market over a year.

I do not know which, if any, are the Offshore version but we did see the one in Noank, CT. After having looked at numerous other E38-200s, I liked this one best but it was $30K more than the next highest list price and even the broker could not justify the additional cost. The Noank boat read dry at all deck penetrations, the only E38 that did. Escape Plan was a close second with wet readings only near the anchor locker handle. And if the E38 is on your radar, this is a good one too.

FWIW, several people I've talked to (two former dealers included) say the PS-built Ericsons were NOT built to Pacific Seacraft standards. PS just bought the molds and continued building them the way Ericson did with upgrades only in the electrical and plumbing systems. But the dry deck in the only PS-built E38 we looked at made me wonder about that. I have a good feel for a quality build and the boat did seem a little better built. davidpm was also aboard that day and maybe he'll pipe in and give his assessment.

nemier, if you the E38 is on your short list and want to know more, let me know. We have lots of pics and more info on the '91. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook