SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
(The only time I ever hit something and took on water was when I ripped an outdrive off hitting an unseen submerged object. That was the only insurance claim I have ever had in 60+ years of boating.)
It was probably a BrentBoat you hit. According to a friend, one was sitting just beneath the water on a rock (submarine-mode) in that area waiting for low tide about the time you mention. Dry as bone inside of course. The owner was having ice cream. You probably mistook the mast for a channel marker pylon or old tree and cut it too close.

Just goes to show how strong BrentBoats are. Ripped your flimsy outdrive right out. The BrentBoat didn't have a scratch once it surfaced and moved to another rock the next day when the towtruck driver came and hitched it back up.

60+ years is impressive, but with all due respect, I notice you don't have steel on your list of past boat materials. So you can't possibly understand the merits of Swaintology.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-10-2013 at 06:39 PM.