SailNet Community - View Single Post - wiring diagram and questions
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: wiring diagram and questions

Bravo on having a battery monitor. We have the Victron and it's the best money I've spent -- I look at the dang thing all the time.

I'd advise not using your starting battery as a reserve for "house" usage. If your house bank is getting low, that's exactly the time to start your engine and get some charging. It's not the time to risk your ability to start the engine. I've always thought that "1-2-both" switches are only for the starter circuit. That way you can leverage your house bank if the starting battery goes dead. We don't use one though; we keep a pair of jumper cables onboard.

We needed a diode between our wind genny and the regulator. Actually there is no regulator for a wind genny, only a dump load controller. Wind gennys have to make power or they spin out of control. You'll need a dump load attached to the controller. (Some smaller and hugely noisy wind gennys do stop spinning instead of creating a dump load. They have everything built in too, but will annoy your family/crew and make your neighbors upset with you.)

Even though we typically anchor where there are few neighbors, we ditched the wind genny and added more solar. I'll probably put the Fourwinds II on eBay in the next week or so. It's not windy enough where we cruise and we turned it out of the wind (shut it down) whenever we were on the boat. (It was great as a riding/anchor sail, by the way.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook