SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?

Well, we've been experimenting with our new salt blocks at home. It's been a kinda of a wow-dud experience. Sometimes it's been awesome. But there have been times I was disappointed.

Beef was great, seafood iffy.

Tonight we talked to our friend in CT who is still cooking furiously on the salt block we gave her. She absolutely loves it! And her's is 8"x4" but she's been cooking everything on it.

In our conversation she mentioned you can't put wet food on the block or it comes off too salty.

A "duh!" moment came over me.

She said after she washes shrimp or scallops, she pats them dry before placing them on the salt block. She still swears no seafood restaurant can compete with what she's been able to do at home with this. I have to admit, the seafood we had at her place was amazing!

Another "duh!" moment hit me.

We're 1000 miles from the nearest ocean. How fresh is the seafood we get? "Oh, it's really fresh!" Maybe that's why the beef has been so good but the seafood... not so much.

On another front, I'm beginning to wonder if the grill might really the best place for for heating and cooking on the salt blocks. As long as you can bring it up to temperature slowly, the grill seems perfect. I haven't tried that yet. That's next!

We're having friends from SF coming in next week. Let's see how they react to the salt block cooking. Maybe we'll try the grill.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook