SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
....Your last post appears to lament Larry's inability to compete financially with governments. Got to say I got my hanky out for him. Don't think the NZ government has a big enough budget to scare Larry.
Then it came across wrong. I'm suggesting, if you drag the world's governments into AC race funding, the pockets get even deeper than Ellison's. Its unhealthy. If Ellison's wealth could create a stage that many could not compete on, imagine what would happen if the G20 resources were available? A list, btw, that NZ is not on, but their buddies in Australia are.

Quote:
As you can surmise I would prefer it the other way i.e. without fat cats footing the bill. I know this tradition goes back to inception but if this is the main event in sailing so I would prefer a more egalitarian approach that is inherent by government funding.
Perhaps we disagree, because you believe that government funding would be egalitarian. Governments are involved in funding Olympic sports and that has been far from a fair and equal opportunity between them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook