SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
interesting perfromance cruiser

Hi all,
having gone through the last couple of hundred pages here and among other threads especially the lenghty discussion regarding stiffness and suitability of boats like First 40 and J122 for cruising, in the Blue Jacket-40 thread, I would like to continue that suitability question here. Might be wrong thread, difficult to evaluate.

Having test sailed many boats this autumn (including trimarans), for fun and education, and having owned a Beneteau 36cc, Dufour 385, Elan 333, Olsen 38 pilot saloon, Benetau Oceanis 40, Dehler 43 CWS and Wauquiez Opium 39 (now) I find this question interesting.

The back ground of a typical customer, at least up here. This size class I think is the mostly sold today in the Nordic countries:

Someone interested in a boat around 35-38 foot (absolutely not over 12 m), absolutely under 3,99 m wide, preferably 3,75 m. Depth not bigger than 2,1m, preferably 1,8m. For a couple with occasional quests. For cruising all summer half year weekends and 2-3 months each summer. In the near future perhaps 4-5 months per summer. No immediate plans for ocean crossing. Much time spent at anchor but harbours always pretty close so 4-10 days between refilling of water and food. Sailing experience very important - thrill seekers, trimmers, want to overtake other boats. Going upwind no problem, sometimes even most rewarding, engine only used for in and out of anchorages and harbours. Also to be able to bring the toys -bikes, inlines, kites etc. Single rudder would help mooring in many cases. Wheel stearing for better autopilot implemention without heavy rudder feeling.

In the BJ40-thread there where many that equalled crusing with living aboard and having to be self-sufficient for months, which in this scenario is not the case. Furthermore, the holding tank problem was very fundamental to many in that thread. Sweden will forbid dumping the holding thank in the water from 2015. Personally I think this is shooting flies with cannons and I do not think the tousands of boats returning every sunday evening to the their home harbours during some few summer months will spend hours queing for an often very difficult accessible pumping out station before docking. Especially not single handed sailors so my personal take is that a holding thank of 60 l, being emptied off shore will be the norm also in the future up here. A removable porta potti is a good secondary solution. Can be emptied with dingy, either in harbour toilets or outside anchorages. Max € 230 000-250 000, preferably € 200 000.

So what are your takes for the suitable boat? J122 and First 40 too big. Dehler 38 etc. rather heavy. Archambault A35 too small? - just to mention some. RM1060 even if rather wide?

I guess the question boils down to how small and especially light can you go, for nice sailing, and still have the storage and living space needed? And will the load destroy the sacrifications made by buying the light perfromance oriented boat?

Regards,
Anders

Last edited by JAndersB; 09-12-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook