SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

More context.
If they were on my boat, the women are going to win in the light stuff, on average weighing less.
In heavy air the men will win because they on average weigh more and can get more meat on the rail and brute strength gets tacks and sail changes done faster in heavy stuff.

* not to say there aren't heavy strong women and light weak men, but this is averages.

In smaller boats like a Laser there is a DEFINITE windspeed vs. winning crew weight formula. The 90 pounder and the 220 pounder each have a windspeed they'll win in, given equal skills.

On boats where a significant portion of the crew function as mobile ballast or human substitutes for hydraulic winches, if a program can have their pick of people very few women would have the size and strength for a top level program at the grunt/ballast positions. Not that I do either..........just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Imagine this...

There are two boats. Each has a race proven race crew. Each crew member has competed at a comparable level as the other. On paper, there is no difference, except one. One boat is crewed by men, the other by women. Who wins? And why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 09-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook