SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Boat...Boat Term Question...
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Hey CD,

Well, it appears that most used Catalinas here are in my price range, so I'm not too worried about getting a lemon Catalina I'm also in the financial position to afford all those outrageous slip fees and maintainance, etc Sign me up!

I do want to cross the Pacific, and head over to the South Pacific, but I want to cruise the gulf islands here first.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly... You're saying I do NOT need a blue water boat to head down the coast to Mexico for example? Or did you mean just "up and down the coast."

I definitely want to do some serious Ocean sailing within the next year, after I cruise up and down the gulf islands for a while and practice some heaving to in gale conditions off the coast.

So I am thinking... if I am going to get a coastal cruiser now, I would have to sell it and buy a blue water boat later for the Pacific crossings... That kind of would be a pain in the butt.

Unless I own two boats, and I don't know if That's a good idea, lol

Decisions, decisions.

I realize that my budget is a little too low for a quality blue water boat. I might have to wait a bit longer and venture into the 35K - 50K range if I go in that direction.

Coastal cruisers here are very cheap, as there are so many of them... because ovbviously BC is one of the greatest coastal cruising places

Kacper
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook