SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Mostly I think its how you parents raise you. I grew up working for my dad, as a mechanic, equipment operator, pick and shovel laborer, carpenter helper, janitor. And I'm not talking odd jobs. Heavy adult jobs when I was 12, 14, 16. He is an immigrant and looked on a first born son as a resourse, a commodity. Nurturing was not part of the equation but plenty of on the job training was.

My sister, by comparison, sat in the house and did nothing. My parents were sexist. very old fashioned. She had a lot of problems when she grew up because she was so coddled.

The point is - they made me into a jack of all trades who can figure stuff out .

I raised my 3 kids a lot nicer, but I certainly didn't coddle them. I let them do a lot of stuff, on their own. Unsupervised. I figured letting them make a few mistakes when they are young is the cheapest and quickest life training. Turns out those kids we never coddled ( now all grown up) are good sailors, they are fast strong, tough, handy and never complain and they can work and fix stuff.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 09-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook