SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Boat...Boat Term Question...
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The boat seems fine. Old boat though. Before you get too focused on crossing the big pond, you better really spend some time in a good storm offshore. It seems to have a way of changing peoples minds. Instead of dropping (not 50k) more like 150-200k in a really used blue water, go spend all the time you can in the islands. THere are some tricky parts on the trip down to the baha. You will have to watch your weather closely. Once inside, short of hurricanes, you are pretty well off. I have not done this... this is hear-say. I always try to tell people when this is not something I have done so you just get first-hand knowledge from me. However, very good friends of ours did this and spent 5 years down there (Mexico) - so it is second-hand knowledge, so to speak.

I have sailed the S california coast. It is nice.

Short of Oregon, you will probably be ok in a catalina. Watch your track through Oregon. Not a lot of places to duck. I would take a catalina down that coast... but it would probably be a larger boat. Not the one you are looking at.

I don't know if I have been much help... but I have been honest. Ask some others about their cruising experience down that coast and what they have experienced. Most sailors/cruisers are quick to share.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook