SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Thanks Paulo,
I understand your reasoning and choise. Sounds like a nice day on the water. I am writing this from the saloon of the Opium. Tomorrow we will sail out for a week again.

Up here almost all marinas charge a lot more for boats over 12 m and it is very hard to find boxes over 4 m wide. Furthermore we often moore bow to or side to cliffs in the archipelago, which can be a challenge handling wise especially if you get a wind shift during the night. Futhermore there is the question of beeing able to tack and dock the boat single handed. Therefore I put in the limit of 35-38 feet

So what about these (french) racer cruisers at around 35 feet? Archambault A35, JKP 10.80 and so forth. Very light and with modern hulls for easy sailing short handed. Will they be too light and cramped for the described scenario? They seem to take off but I guess in cruising mode that might change rapidly?

Regards,
Anders
Regarding JPK I think the boat you should look at is the 38:Beam 3.99m, 5T of weight and about the same ballast (a bit more) and draft of the Opium 39 that weights 1,5T more. That would make for a stiffer boat at least upwind. Besides JPK is an incredible guy, a true sailor with a huge solo experience (racing) that will make the boat the way you want it and can give you a lot of intelligent suggestions. Yes I visited also the shipyard and was fascinated with JPK...with him almost all is possible and not for a lot of money.

Regarding the boats you mention probably the boat I was looking at at the time is a better option for cruising, I mean the JPK 110 that is still in production:

JPK

Beam 3.80m, Draft 2.20m, weight 5450kg, Ballast 2.200kg.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook