SailNet Community - View Single Post - The economics of sailing around the world
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

TJC speaks an unfortunate truth. Still having accepted that truth and acted on it many of us old farts are starting out to complete our dreams. This thread has been fascinating with many of the resources listed and linked extremely helpful to me. But to follow TJCs line of thinking if you start you voyaging after your career your tolerance for prolonged discomfort is lower and your physical capabilities are somewhat degraded. Whereas in the past I would be happy to be railmeat- it's an activity that no longer appeals. Similarly cruising I and my bride want easier systems and more comfort. This implies a bigger boat with more complexities both to purchase and maintain. Expense goes up. Before buying my "Last Boat" I went through each thing on the boat and what I expected it to cost year 1,5 and 10.
Averaged expenses and went to financial advisor. He developed spread sheets for his expections of our expenses using real numbers from tax returns and checkbooks. Each family or couple will be different. Best you can say is you can try to give a high and a low for expenses. I expect to have to adjust those estimates as time goes on.
Another point is when faced with the realities of "doing the clock" many ( self included) decide not to do it. For me a circumnavigation of the North Atlantic with a sortie into the north med followed by a circumnavigation of the South Pacific holds more interest. I'll happily leave the capes and pirates to others.

Last edited by outbound; 09-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook