SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: interesting perfromance cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
With this preferable beam how could any of the Luffes fit in this taste trend? Are they bound to become extinct or as you said in a previous post they will count on a fewer remaining nostalgic customers.
Do you think that the wider beam trend in the recent decades has something to do (apart from the accommodations benefits) with lack of wish to sail to windward instead of motoring? Paulo I would appreciate your input on that. Do majority of cruisers in the Med use their engine instead of beating?

Yes, on the med most of the boats motor upwind and you would not believe how much I can go faster and point higher than the average (the few that take pleasure in beating upwind) sailboat. Somehow I tend to end up sailing upwind most of the time and I like it. I would say that is not a very common taste or preference. With a decent wind I can go at 26º apparent doing 6.5K while most of the mass production cruisers go slower or at the same speed at 35º. On two years of sailing I have yet to find a boat that can out point mine (they are out there but there are not many and most of them are used to racing).

The Luffe or Faubry are not only about pointing but also about the motion in the water. Yes they are more comfortable in hard conditions upwind (if we discount heeling) and if on a big picture I think that boats more balanced in what regards beam like Arcona, GS or mine, offer a better package (mainly in what regards interior space), the love of sailing a nimble boat with a very moderate beam will always have their fans. No I don't think it is a dying species but will never be a boat for the majority. Regarding fast cruising and racing boats like the J122 show that they are as fast or faster than beamier boats.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 09-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook