SailNet Community - View Single Post - The economics of sailing around the world
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: The economics of sailing around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
But to follow TJCs line of thinking if you start you voyaging after your career your tolerance for prolonged discomfort is lower and your physical capabilities are somewhat degraded. Whereas in the past I would be happy to be railmeat- it's an activity that no longer appeals. Similarly cruising I and my bride want easier systems and more comfort. This implies a bigger boat with more complexities both to purchase and maintain. Expense goes up.
Further to this, if one subscribes to the concept that one's income continues to grow as you get older, the older folks like me have to give up way bigger levels of income to go sailing. We have children of friends currently sailing in the Pacific and they are in their late 20's. They gave up way less in terms of income that I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Another point is when faced with the realities of "doing the clock" many ( self included) decide not to do it.
The reality of "doing the clock" is that with all the weather systems going in one direction no matter where you are on the planet, circumnavigations reach a point of no return - where you can't turn around and go home. If you have passed that point you have to go all the way around, whether you're enjoying it or not. Or you ditch the boat and fly home and so end the whole boat ownership thing. One thing is for sure, when you're trying to sell a boat under pressure in a foreign country, you're gonna come seriously second in any price negotiations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook